School History Sources (1948-1970)
A Note on Language
When you research the history of Fairfax County Public Schools (FCPS) during the period of 1870 to 1970, you will invariably encounter racially-charged language that is archaic and often problematic by modern standards. In particular, the primary source documents from the period use the terms “colored” and “Negro” to commonly describe students and schools. Where the following records quote directly from the primary source material, the terminology used in the document has been retained.
Fairfax County Land Records
The following records can be viewed in person at the Fairfax County Circuit Court Historic Records Center.
Deed Book 952, Page 356: March 5, 1952 – Clara Ferris Williams, widow, to the County School Board of Fairfax County, Virginia; All that certain tract of land in the Town of Vienna, Providence Magisterial District, Fairfax County, Virginia; containing 1.01 acres. The said tract of land is part of a larger tract of land conveyed to Clara Ferris Williams by Alfonso Williams, by a deed dated November 14, 1931, and recorded in Liber Z, No. 10, page 438 among the land records of said County.
Deed Book 954, Page 64: March 5, 1952 – Ella M. Chives, single, to the County School Board of Fairfax County, Virginia; All that certain tract of land in the Town of Vienna, Providence Magisterial District, Fairfax County, Virginia; containing 1.002 acres. The said tract of land is part of a larger tract of land conveyed to Ella M. Chives as Parcel 1 of a deed dated March 18, 1941, and recorded among the land records of said County in Deed Book No. 407, page 61.
Deed Book 977, Page 83: March 5, 1952 – Lillie Brown, widow, George Brown and Emma Brown, his wife, Charles R. Brown and Flossie Brown, his wife, Edith Hansborough and Cortelyou Hansborough, her husband, parties of the first part, to the County School Board of Fairfax County, Virginia, a body corporate, party of the second part. All that certain tract of land in the Town of Vienna, Providence Magisterial District, Fairfax County, Virginia; containing 0.206 acres. The above described tract is part of the land conveyed to Charles R. Brown by deed dated April 20, 1935, and recorded in Liber T, No. 11, page 326 among the land records of said County. The said Charles R. Brown died intestate on January 26, 1938, leaving as his sole heirs at law his widow, Lillie Brown, and three children, George Brown, Charles R. Brown, and Edith Hasborough, who are the parties of the first part of this deed.
Deed Book 1023, Page 24: Condemnation Order - In the Circuit Court for the County of Fairfax, Virginia. The County School Board of Fairfax County, Virginia, Petitioner versus Henry H. Harris, of unknown address, if alive, Ella M. Harris, his wife, and any and all persons who are or may be interested in the land which is the subject matter of this petition, as heirs, devisees or otherwise of Henry H. Harris, whose names are unknown and who are made parties defendant hereto by the general description of Parties Unknown, Defendants. May 7, 1952 – Thereupon came the Petitioner, by Counsel, and paid to the Clerk of this Court the sum of $1,000.00, the full amount of the Commissioners’ award made for 1.02 acres of land, the property of Henry H. Harris, if alive, and if dead, the property of his heirs or assigns. [The court ordered that the title to the tract of 1.02 acres of land be vested absolutely in fee simple to the Fairfax County School Board].
Fairfax County School Board Minutes
July 20, 1948: It was the sense of the Board that the Odricks community be advised that the Board is considering the consolidation of the Odricks School with Vienna and feels that expensive improvements such as running water, indoor toilets and central heating should not be made at this time. Also: Mr. Woodson asked the Board to make a decision in regard to consolidation of the Merrifield Colored School with Vienna. Following brief discussion it was the sense of the Board that these schools remain as at present.
August 3, 1948: The Board approved the purchase of shades for the Vienna Negro School from the Flowers School Equipment Company.
September 21, 1948: Miss Primrose Ellis was appointed secretary to the principal of the Vienna Colored School at a salary of $50 per month, part-time for ten months, beginning Sept. 15, 1948.
October 5, 1948: Dr. Harold Johnson was appointed the physician to operate the health clinic at Louise Archer Elementary, subject to approval by the County Health Department. Also, Mr. Rice advised that he had received a letter from the principal of the Vienna Colored School [Bladen Oswald Robinson] requesting authority to turn the building fund money over to the School Board for the purchase of cafeteria equipment. Mr. Rice had received a check for $504.76 from the Vienna Negro PTA which they wished used toward the purchase of the necessary equipment for the cafeteria. He stated that this money had been accumulated by the efforts of Mrs. Louise R. Archer before her death for improvements at the Vienna Colored School. It was the sense of the Board that this money be accepted and that the Assistant Superintendent select cafeteria equipment for this school in cooperation with the committee of the Vienna Colored School PTA. Also: Roy Hampton was appointed custodian of the Vienna Colored School at a salary of $130 per month beginning Sept. 7, 1948. Also: It was stated that the cafeterias at the Woodlawn White and Vienna Negro Schools could begin operation as soon as the stoves were installed. The Board agreed to purchase stoves at once for the Woodlawn, Oak Street, Fairfax High and Vienna Negro School cafeterias, the total cost being approximately $2,040. Also: Mr. Woodson advised that the enrollment of the Vienna Colored School is now 130 with three teachers, including the principal, and recommended the appointment of an additional teacher. His request was approved.
December 21, 1948: The report of the Assistant Superintendent was heard. A letter under date of December 16 was presented from Lee T. Turner, contractor, requesting payment of Requisition No. 11 on the additions to the Woodlawn White and Vienna Colored Schools. Mr. Turner was not requesting payment on the items which had not been entirely completed. Mr. Rice read Article 4 of the Contract which required payment of only 90% of the cost until the job should be entirely completed. Mr. Landman, building inspector, was present. He stated that he saw no reason why both the Vienna Negro and Woodlawn jobs were not completed some time ago. He read a list of items in each addition which had not been completed. Mr. Gillingham moved that the request of Lee T. Turner for further payment on construction of the additions at the Woodlawn White and Vienna Negro Schools be declined since the Board has already paid 90.09% on Vienna and 92.58% on Woodlawn. This motion was seconded by Mr. Cockrell and carried.
January 4, 1949: Mr. Woodson stated that the additions to Woodlawn White and Vienna Negro were practically completed and were being used.
May 3, 1949: A letter dated May 2 was received in which citizens of East Woodford and nearby communities wished a school bus to transport the children home from the Louise Archer School after school, it being necessary that they wait two hours for the Manassas bus since Manassas operates on Standard Time and Fairfax County on Daylight Saving Time. Colored schools that might be affected by the buses serving the Regional High School at Manassas had been instructed to continue to operate on the same time. Mr. Rice stated that no bus was available to make the requested trip. Mr. Rice was directed to contact the principal at Archer Elementary and that the principal explain the situation to the East Woodford patrons.
August 18, 1949: Appointment of Teachers and Salaries for 1949-50 was as follows: Louise Archer Elementary: Mr. B. Oswald Robinson, Principal, 10 months, $3,230; Mrs. Mabel T. Mack, $3,100; Mrs. Channie C. Henderson, $3,000; and Miss Bettie L. Ingram, $2,200.
November 1, 1949: John Hawkins, Jr. was appointed bus driver and custodian for the Louise Archer Colored School at a salary of $160 per month, effective Oct. 17, 1949. George Lee, Jr. was appointed custodian at Louise Archer at a salary of $150 per month, effective Oct. 10, 1949. He resigned on October 17, 1949. The previous custodian, Moses Frye, had resigned on Oct. 6, 1949.
January 19, 1950: Applications for health clinics for session 1949-50 were presented for the following schools with physicians as indicated: Louise Archer Colored School – Dr. Harold M. Johnson, physician. The Board approved the list of applications for clinics, the physicians to be subject to the approval of the County Health Department.
February 7, 1950: The Clerk read the following miscellaneous receipts for the month of January 1950: B. Oswald Robinson, Principal; Maps for Louise Archer Negro School; $8.38.
March 7, 1950: The Clerk read the following miscellaneous receipts for the month of February 1950: B. Oswald Robinson, Principal; Partial payment on sound projector, Louise Archer School, $87.50. Also: A delegation from the Louise Archer Colored School had asked to appear before the Board at 12:00 Noon on this date but no one from this group had come hence the Board continued with its business.
March 23, 1950: The Assistant Superintendent presented a statement of values on school buildings and contents advising that in preparing this statement the school buildings owned by the City of Falls Church had been deleted, new schools and additions had been added and contents had been revised. The revised statement was as follows: #49 – Louise Archer (Vienna Colored); Building: $115,000.00; Contents: $3,000.00.
April 4, 1950: Mr. Rice recommended the appointment of a committee to review plans for landscaping the grounds of the Louise Archer Colored School. The Chairman appointed Messrs. Shands and Haight as a committee to work with the Assistant Superintendent on this project. Also: Following discussion, the following principals and supervisors were recommended for appointment for 1950-51 at schools and salaries as indicated: Louise Archer, Mr. B. Oswald Robinson, $4,020.00, 10 month contract. The Board approved the appointments as recommended.
May 2, 1950: B. Oswald Robinson, Principal; Mabel T. Mack; Channie C. Henderson; and Bettie L. Ingram were reappointed to Louise Archer Elementary School for the 1950-51 school session.
June 6, 1950: The Clerk read the following miscellaneous receipts for the month of May 1950: B. Oswald Robinson, Principal; Two library units for Louise Archer Negro School; $10.00.
July 5, 1950: The Clerk read the following miscellaneous receipts for the month of June 1950: B. Oswald Robinson, Principal; Balance on sound projector, Louise Archer School, $100.00.
August 1, 1950: Miss Deloise H. McCown was appointed secretary to the principal of Louise Archer Colored School at a salary of $700 on a 10-month contract, part-time.
August 17, 1950: Instructional Personnel for 1950-51 were approved: Louise Archer Elementary: Mr. B. Oswald Robinson, Principal, 10 months, $4,020; Mrs. Mabel T. Mack, $3,200; Mrs. Channie C. Henderson, $3,100; and Miss Bettie L. Ingram, $2,400.
September 21, 1950: Benjamin Ellis was appointed custodian of Louise Archer School on a ten-month part-time contract beginning Sept. 6, 1950 at a salary of $20 per month. Miss Deloise McCown at Louise Archer Colored was moved from part-time teacher and part-time secretary to full-time teacher effective Sept. 11, 1950, at a salary of $2,300.
October 3, 1950: The following teachers were appointed as recommended for the session 1950-51. Mrs. Laura M. Lyles – Louise Archer N, $1,350 per session part-time – Beginning Sept. 18, 1950. She was also appointed the part-time secretary to the principal at a salary of $80 per month for ten months. Miss Deloise McCown – stopped part-time teacher and part-time secretary at Louise Archer Colored School on September 15. She began full-time teaching at this school on Sept. 18.
October 19, 1950: The salary of Benjamin Ellis, custodian helper at Louise Archer School, was increased from $20 to $30 per month.
December 5, 1950: Mr. Lawrence E. Shinn requested an extension of a school bus route to accommodate the child of his colored housekeeper who attends the Vienna Colored School. The request was denied because to operate the bus so many additional miles for one child daily was cost prohibitive, the cost of the bus operation being approximately 20 cents per mile.
February 6, 1951: Miscellaneous receipts for the month of January 1951: W. A. West, Treasurer, Vienna Colored School League – Curtain track in Louise Archer School - $108.00; B. Oswald Robinson, Principal – Freight on surplus potatoes for Louise Archer cafeteria - $3.15. Louise Archer teacher and secretary Laura Lyles resigned effective at the close of work on January 24, 1951, to accept a full-time position as teacher of home economics in the Parker Gray High School in Alexandria. Miss Jean L. Wheeler was appointed in her place as part-time teacher at a salary of $1,150 per session and as part-time secretary at a salary of $80 per month.
March 22, 1951: The proposed statement of values for the Board’s consideration: #56 – Louise Archer (Vienna Colored); Building: $115,000.00; Contents: $6,000.00. The Board certified the values for submission to the Virginia Fire Insurance Rating Bureau for a new rate on insurance. Also: Mr. B. Oswald Robinson was appointed principal of Louise Archer Colored School for the 1951-52 session.
May 1, 1951: Mr. Rice stated that it has been the policy of the Board to pay one-half on the purchase of stage curtains for schools. The Groveton Elementary and Louise Archer Colored Schools have already raised their shares toward these curtains, those for Louise Archer to cost $370.80 and those for Groveton $849.00. Mr. Middleton moved that the Board pay one-half of the cost of stage curtains for the Groveton White and Louise Archer Colored Schools and that Mr. Rice proceed to place orders for the curtains at the prices indicated. This motion was seconded by Mr. Cockrell and carried. Also: Appointment of Teachers and Salaries for 1951-52 was as follows – Louise Archer Elementary: Mr. B. Oswald Robinson, Principal, 10 months, $4,470; Mrs. Mabel T. Mack, Mrs. Channie H. Henderson, Miss Deloise H. McCown, and Miss Bettie L. Ingram.
May 17, 1951: Mr. Rice presented the request of the Louise Archer Colored School that the Board match funds for the purchase of a cyclorama and that the Board advance the full cost allowing the school to pay its part in the fall after schools open. Mr. Rice stated that if the cyclorama can be installed at the same time as the stage curtains there will be no charge for installation but if it has to be done at a later time the charge will be $35.00. The cost of the cyclorama and track will be $317.00. Mr. Haight moved that the Board approve the purchasing of the cyclorama for the Louise Archer School at this time, the Board to pay one-half and advance the total cost until the school has an opportunity to raise its share in the fall. This motion was seconded by Mr. Cockrell and carried.
July 3, 1951: The Clerk read the following list of miscellaneous receipts for the month of June: From W. A. West, Treasurer for payment on Louise Archer School’s stage curtain, $100.00. Also: The Superintendent reported that Mr. Earl B. Bailey, Architect, feels he can have all plans completed by September on the Louise Archer, Fairview and Chesterbrook additions and Westlawn new school. Mr. Shands moved that Mr. Bailey be assigned the work of preparing plans for the Fairfax Elementary School addition (white). This motion was seconded by Mr. Middleton and carried.
August 23, 1951: The following teachers were appointed for the session of 1951-52 at Louise Archer Elementary: Mr. B. Oswald Robinson, Principal, $4,470, 10-month contract; Mrs. Mabel T. Mack, $4,000, 9.5 month contract; Mrs. Channie C. Henderson, $3,500, 9.5 month contract; Miss Deloise H. McCown, $2,700, 9.5 month contract; Miss Bettie L. Ingram, $2,800, 9.5 month contract; Miss Jean L. Wheeler (part-time), $1,300, 9.5 month contract.
September 20, 1951: Lloyd Morarity was appointed custodian helper of Louise Archer School on a ten-month part-time contract beginning September 4, 1951 at a salary of $30 per month. Also: The Superintendent reported that he is endeavoring to secure additional land at the Louis Archer Colored School in order to meet requirements of the State Department of Education in regard to site size in connection with the proposed addition to this school.
October 2, 1951: The Clerk read the following miscellaneous receipts for the month of September: From W. A. West, Treasurer for Balance of Vienna Negro School’s share for stage curtain in the amount of $66.90.
December 4, 1951: The Board heard a committee from the Fairfax County Colored Citizens Association headed by Reverend Sheppard regarding the progress being made for the construction of Negro schools in the county. Mr. Woodson advised the committee that… Plans for the addition to the Louise Archer School are completed but have not been approved because of inadequate site according to the regulations of the State Board of Education. The Board is attempting to acquire additional land at this school. A plat was presented showing the existing school property. The plat also showed the Ella Chives tract, estimated to be 1.002 acres, a parcel containing 1.02 acres presumably belonging to Mr. B. F. Salisbury which he had expressed his willingness to deed to the School Board without charge. Mr. Salisbury is under the impression that he had deeded all of the remaining land he had adjacent to this tract to the School Board but the Superintendent had been able to find no additional deed to the Board for this property. The plat also showed another parcel containing 0.206 acres which he though should be acquired from a Mr. Brown living on the north side of the school property; and another parcel containing 1.01 acres belonging to Alphonso Williams, a strip of land at the very back of the present school property. It would not be of much usefulness to the school, per se, but the total acreage of the school site would amount to 5.478 acres. The Superintendent was directed to work out the acquisition of the proposed additional properties. In the discussion of the size of the site it was pointed out that when the Board proposed the addition to the Louise Archer School it proposed to transport Negro elementary children from the Merrifield area. In the discussion of this matter it was pointed out that when the high school proposed to be built at Merrifield is completed buses from all over the county will be moving toward the high school each morning and that it would probably be best to leave the elementary children in the Merrifield area at that location and provide three elementary classrooms in the new high school there. Should this be done at least one classroom could be cut off of the proposed addition to the Louise Archer School which would reduce the building to seven classrooms when the addition is completed, these classrooms being considered sufficient to care for the children now being served by this school and the children proposed to be transferred from Odricks community should that school be closed as is now planned. This would indicate a probable maximum enrollment at Louise Archer of 230 children. Mr. West, a colored citizen of Vienna, was assisting the Board in acquiring additional land for the Louise Archer School. A letter from Ella M. Chives to Mr. West was presented to the Board in which she indicated her willingness to sell a tract of land containing 0.75 acres at a cost of $800. The Board agreed to her proposal. The existing school contained five classrooms, a combined auditorium, cafeteria, and kitchen, toilets, principal’s office, and central heating plant. The school enrolls 165 pupils and is located on a site containing 3.25 acres. The proposed addition would add four more classrooms, a library, clinic, and teachers’ room to provide for an ultimate enrollment of 230 children. Also: Applications for steel priorities have been filed for additions to Louise Archer.
December 27, 1951: Mr. Woodson reported that steel priorities had been received from the Government for the construction of the Gum Spring Negro School and the addition to the Louise Archer Negro School. R. J. Lillard, Attorney, recommended that the School Board exercise the right of eminent domain to secure 1.02 acres of land in Vienna adjacent to the Louise Archer Negro School. Mr. B. F. Salisbury had expressed his willingness to donate this property to the School Board. The attorney had searched the title of this tract purportedly belonging to Mr. B. F. Salisbury and found that this tract was sold by Mr. B. F. Salisbury to Henry H. Harris and wife, Ella M. Harris, by deed dated June 22, 1924 and deed of trust taken for the tract which the School Board now wished to acquire. Mr. Salisbury was requested to foreclose on the deed of trust in order that the title might be transferred to the School Board, but if this could not be done Court approval should be secured to acquire title to the property by condemnation.
January 3, 1952: Lloyd Morarity resigned as part-time custodian of Louise Archer Colored School, effective December 24, 1951.
January 10, 1952: Mrs. Alphonso Williams declined to accept multiple offers from the School Board for her 1.01 acre parcel bordering the back boundary of the Louise Archer School. The Board decided to make a higher offer, but if she did not accept this then the Board would seek Court approval to acquire title to the property by condemnation. The Superintendent had been authorized to offer Mrs. Lilly Brown $206.00 for 0.206 acres of land adjacent to the Louise Archer Colored School, but she had not yet responded. The Board authorized the Superintendent to offer her additional money, not to exceed $300, for this parcel.
January 17, 1952: Alice Payne was appointed part-time custodian at Louise Archer Elementary on a 10-month contract at a salary of $40 per month, effective Jan. 4, 1952. Also: The Superintendent reported that Lilly Brown had called indicating her acceptance of the Board’s offer of $206.00 for 0.206 acre of land adjacent to the Louise Archer School. Alphonso Williams had called declining to accept the Board's offer of $850.00 but finally agreed to accept $1,000.00 for 1.01 acres of land back of the Louise Archer School grounds. Attorney R. J. Lillard reported that he is proceeding by condemnation to acquire title to the parcel formerly belonging to B. F. Salisbury adjacent to Louise Archer School which Mr. Salisbury had a number of years ago given to the School Board but title had never been transferred to the Board. On the basis of the foregoing reports, Mr. Davis offered the following resolution to be sent to the Superintendent of Public Instruction: Whereas, the original existing Louise Archer school site contains 3.25 acres, and Whereas, the Board has worked out an agreement for the purchase of 1.002 acres from Ella Chives, 1.01 acres from Alphonso Williams, 0.206 acre from Lilly Brown, and on account of an unclear title is proceeding through condemnation to acquire 1.02 acres from what is known as the Salisbury tract, all of which acquisitions are being carried forward as expeditiously as possible by the Attorney for the School Board, and Whereas, it is impractical to acquire additional land in connection with this school, and Whereas, plans for the proposed addition to this school have been prepared and letting of contract is delayed only by lack of approval by the State Department of the school site. THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED that Dr. Dowell J. Howard be requested to approve the school site which will include when current acquisitions are completed 6.488 acres. Mr. Davis moved the adoption of the foregoing resolution which was seconded by Mr. Shands and carried.
February 12, 1952: Mr. Rice stated that plans may be completed in time for bids to be requested on March 4 for the Louise Archer addition, the Oak Grove new school, and the Forestville new school.
February 21, 1952: The Superintendent advised that advertisement had been run asking for bids for construction of an addition to the Louise Archer Colored School to be opened at 2:00 P.M. on Tuesday, March 4.
March 4, 1952: Mr. Earl Bailey, Architect, and bidders were present for the opening of bids for construction of an addition to the Louise Archer School. It addition to the base bid, there were four additional items up for bid: 1) Unit Ventilators, 2) Cast Iron Radiators, 3) Convectors, and 4) Bar Joists. Upon recommendation of the architect, the Board decided that Items 3 and 4 be accepted thereby using convectors and bar joists. The Superintendent stated that $72,000 plus ten percent for equipment or a total of $79,200 is set up for this project. The cost based on the bid of Whitener and Skillman less Items 3 and 4 but including architect’s fee would be $81,595.50. The Board awarded the contract to Whitener and Skillmen, less Items 3 and 4, in the amount of $77,710.
May 6, 1952: Mr. Rice presented Change Order No. 1 on the Louise Archer Elementary School which was an extra in the amount of $444.00 for the substitution of ¾” rib 5.4# black lath in lieu of 3/8” rib 4.0# black lath. The Board approved the change order with the understanding that the architect’s fee will not be paid on this amount since the architect had made the error in his specifications.
July 15, 1952: Paul Adams was transferred from custodian at Falls Church High School to custodian at Louise Archer Colored School with a salary increase from $190 to $200 per month, effective July 25, 1952.
August 5, 1952: Miss Margaret Murrell was appointed secretary to the principal at Louise Archer Colored Elementary on a 10-month part-time contract at a salary of $1,068 annually.
August 21, 1952: The following teachers were appointed for the session of 1952-53 at Louise Archer Elementary: Mr. B. Oswald Robinson, Principal, $5,080, 10-month contract; Mrs. Mabel T. Mack, $4,500; Mrs. Channie C. Henderson, $4,000; Miss Laura McPhail, $4,700; Miss Bettie L. Ingram, $3,300; Miss Margaret Murrell (part-time), $1,750.
September 2, 1952: Milton Leroy Monroe – A-C – was appointed bus driver for Louise Archer Elementary at a salary of $140 per month, effective Sept. 2, 1952.
September 18, 1952: Transfer - Miss Margaret Murrell from part-time teacher at Louise Archer Colored School to full-time teacher at James Lee Colored School at a salary of $3400 per session, effective beginning September 15, 1952. Appointment – Miss Geneva Bowles – Part-time secretary at Louise Archer Colored School at a salary of $1,050 for ten months, effective beginning September 15, 1952. Miss Evelyne Robinson – Part-time teacher at Louise Archer Colored School at a salary of $1,500 per session, effective beginning September 15, 1952.
October 7, 1952: A letter was presented from Southern Iron Words in regard to the delay in the delivery of windows for the Louise Archer School. It was the sense of the Board that Mr. Dunn and the contractor make an effort to obtain the windows from another dealer, if necessary, or install temporary windows in order that this building may be completed and occupied. A letter was presented from the principal of the Louise Archer School requesting installation of a program clock. The Board agreed to purchase a clock for the school.
January 6, 1953: Mr. Rice recommended acceptance of the following new building construction, subject to corrections on punch lists… Louise Archer (addition). The Board accepted the above-named construction. George William Lee, Jr. was appointed custodian on Louise Archer School on a 12-month contract at a salary of $200 per month, effective Dec. 23, 1952.
February 3, 1953: Paul Adams was transferred from custodian at Louise Archer to Falls Church High School, effective Dec. 23, 1952.
March 3, 1953: Mr. Cecil Robinson was transferred from principal of Odricks to principal of Merrifield upon consolidation of Odricks with Louise Archer, effective beginning February 12, 1953. Mrs. Ora R. Lawson transferred from Floris to Louise Archer, effective beginning February 12, 1953. Mrs. Ida Murchison transferred from Odricks to Oak Grove, part-time, upon consolidation of Odricks with Louise Archer, effective beginning Feb. 12, 1953. Mrs. Annie M. Fortune transferred from Odricks to Louise Archer, effective beginning Feb. 12, 1953.
June 22, 1953: Secretaries to principals appointed on 10-month contracts, effective Aug. 24, 1953 – Miss Geneva Bowles, Louise Archer Elementary, salary of $1,100 part-time contract. Custodians appointed on 12-month contracts, effective June 23, 1953 – George William Lee, Jr., Louise Archer Elementary, salary of $2,700.
July 15, 1953: Plan was presented for the alteration of the kitchen at the Louise Archer Negro School. Since consolidation of the Odricks School with this school, the kitchen facilities have not been adequate. Mr. Shands moved that alterations be made to the Louise Archer School as per plan submitted to enlarge kitchen facilities by using the classroom on the left of the auditorium as a kitchen area, converting the multi-purpose room to a permanent classroom, the cafeteria space to be utilized for activity usually conducted in the multi-purpose room. Mrs. Lory seconded the motion and it carried.
August 24, 1953: The following teachers were appointed for the session of 1953-54 at Louise Archer Elementary: Mr. B. Oswald Robinson, Principal, $5,630, 10-month contract; Mrs. Addie B. Pleasants, $4,300; Mrs. Mabel T. Mack, $4,900; Mrs. Channie C. Henderson, $4,700; Mrs. Ora R. Lawson, $4,100; Miss Laura McPhail, $5,100; Mrs. Bettie I. Cooley, $3,700; Mrs. Annie M. Fortune, part-time (Art Teacher in all Colored Schools) $4,200 with $250 for travel.
September 1, 1953: Granville A. Hudson was appointed custodian of Louise Archer Elementary on a ten-month contract, part-time, at a salary of $80 per pay period, effective Sept. 8, 1953.
April 6, 1954: Irving E. Honesty was appointed bus driver for Louise Archer School at a salary of $140 per month, effective March 23, 1954, Bus # 40. Mr. B. Oswald Robinson was appointed principal of Louise Archer for the 1954-55 school session.
May 4, 1954: Lillian S. Blackwell resigned as school bus driver for Louise Archer School, effective March 22, 1954, Bus # 40.
May 6, 1954: Miss Geneva Bowles was appointed cafeteria manager for Louise Archer School for the session 1954-55.
May 20, 1954: The Board authorized the disposition of the Odricks School building which has been vacant for some time and is now deteriorating rapidly. The School Board attorney was requested to petition the Court to approve the sale of the building.
June 22, 1954: Miss Geneva Bowles was appointed school secretary at Louise Archer Elementary School for the 1954-55 school year at a salary of $2,300 on a 10-month contract.
August 12, 1954: The following teachers were appointed for the session of 1954-55 at Louise Archer Elementary: Mr. B. Oswald Robinson, Principal, $5,840, 10-month contract; Mrs. Catherine S. Butler, $4,100; Mrs. Channie C. Henderson, $5,000; Mrs. Ora R. Lawson, $4,400; Mrs. Mabel T. Mack, $5,100; Miss Laura McPhail, $5,300; Mrs. Addie B. Pleasants, $4,600; Miss Gloria A. Russell, $3,200; Mr. Isaac E. Street [also at Oak Grove], $3,200, travel allowance of 7 cents per mile between schools, once daily.
November 2, 1954: Miss Roberta L. Lee was appointed Custodian Helper at Louise Archer Elementary, part-time, 10-month contract, at a salary of $400 per year, effective Sept. 24, 1954.
December 7, 1954: Mr. and Mrs. Carroll Murphy, custodians at Oakton School, who live in Prince William County, request permission for their son Robert to attend the Louise Archer School without payment of tuition since they leave home quite early and cannot safely leave him at home. The Board agreed to their request because his parents are employed by the School Board as custodians and such permission has been granted in the past.
March 1, 1955: Mr. B. Oswald Robinson was appointed principal of Louise Archer for the 1955-56 school session.
May 24, 1955: Miss Geneva Bowles was appointed Cafeteria Manager of Louise Archer Elementary for the 1955-56 school session.
June 28, 1955: George W. Lee was appointed Head Custodian of Louise Archer Elementary for the 1955-56 school year at a salary of $2,860. Miss Geneva Bowles was appointed School Secretary on a 10-month contract at a salary of $2,400.
September 6, 1955: Teacher appointments and salaries for Louise Archer Elementary for the 1955-56 school year were recorded. Mr. B. Oswald Robinson, Principal, $6,120, 10 months. Mrs. Addie G. Pleasants, $4,900. Mrs. Mabel T. Mack, $5,300. Mr. Isaac E. Street [also Oak Grove] $3,500 with $120 for travel. Mrs. Edmonia B. Motley, $4,300. Miss Laura McPhail, $5,500. Miss Gloria A. Russell, $3,500. Mrs. Catherine C. Butler, $4,400. Mrs. Channie C. Henderson, $5,300. Mrs. Ora R. Lawson, $4,700. Irving E. Honesty was appointed bus driver at a salary of $140 per month.
December 6, 1955: Salary rates for custodial staff were adjusted. At Louise Archer, custodian George W. Lee, 12-month contract, had his salary raised from $2,860 to $3,010. Elener Boyd, janitress, on a 10-month part-time contract, had her salary raised from $1,000 to $1,060.
February 7, 1956: Irving E. Honesty resigned as bus driver for Louise Archer Elementary effective January 5, 1956 at noon. Norman Sulton had been appointed in his place, but Sulton also resigned after one week on the job, effective January 13, 1956. Franklin E. Coates was appointed the bus driver for Louise Archer beginning January 16, 1956 at a salary of $140 per month.
April 10, 1956: Mr. B. Oswald Robinson was appointed principal of Louise Archer for the 1956-57 school session.
September 18, 1956: Conway Weaver was appointed custodian of Louise Archer Elementary on a 10-month part-time contract at a salary of $1,090 per year, effective Aug. 21, 1956.
December 18, 1956: Mr. Hudgins wanted discussion of his austerity proposal which implied change in Board policy governing the use of bond funds. Since this was tied in with the overall budget discussion, at this time there was distributed to Board members a list of projects which it is anticipated will be let to contract from January to April, as follows: Estimated contract date: January; Name of Project: Louise Archer Elementary Addition; Size: 3 classrooms; Estimated Cost Including Architect Fees: $60,000.
January 2, 1957: Mr. B. Oswald Robinson, Principal of Louise Archer Elementary, had his salary increased from $7,010 to $7,340 per year, 10.5 month contract, effective Aug. 7, 1956, because he had received a Master’s Degree. Bids on the Louise Archer Elementary School addition were scheduled to be opened on January 15, 1957 at 4:00 P.M.
January 18, 1957: The School Board awarded the contract for the construction of an addition to Louise Archer Elementary School to E. N. Hooper, Falls Church, Virginia, in the amount of $45,977; Bailey and Patton, Architects; Liquidated Damage - $100 per day; Completion Date – August 1, 1957.
February 5, 1957: Mrs. Mary A. Cox was appointed teacher at Louise Archer Elementary at a salary of $4,500 per year, effective February 1, 1957.
June 18, 1957: Mrs. Barbara E. Taylor was appointed Cafeteria Manager of Louise Archer Elementary for the 1957-58 school session. Then, on July 16, 1957, she was appointed the school’s clerk on a 10.5-month contract, at a salary of $2,820.
August 6, 1957: Final inspections during July were made as follows: Louise Archer, 3-room addition; architect, Bailey & Patton; Contractor, Eugene N. Hooper; Completion date, August 1, 1957. Final inspection, July 15, 1957.
August 20, 1957: The following change orders were approved relative to the construction of the addition at Louise Archer Elementary: Addition of one access door under the existing building at a cost of $91.69 and the change of the water meter from its present location in the boiler room to the curb in accordance with instructions from the Virginia Water Department at a cost of $39.30.
December 3, 1957: Garleen Thomas Grooms was appointed bus driver for Louise Archer Elementary School at a salary of $140 per month, effective November 4, 1957.
May 20, 1958: Mr. B. Oswald Robinson was appointed principal of Louise Archer for the 1958-59 school year.
June 3, 1958: The Board directed that Strang & Childers, Architects, be retained to draw plans for additions to schools, as follows: Louise Archer (three classrooms and activities room); Eleven Oaks (three classrooms and activities room); Gunston (three classrooms, one alternative classroom, and activities room); Fairview (three classrooms and activities room); Drew-Smith (two classrooms and activities room). These projects were bid on at the same time [See Minutes – January 6, 1959] and the contract for all schools except Fairview was awarded as a blanket contract to W. A. Sherman in the amount of $217,080. The Louise Archer addition included an incinerator and heating and ventilation alternates.
September 14, 1960: Proposed Construction, Phase 1, of the 1960-64 School Building Program estimated that $18,600 in bond funds would be needed to do site improvements at Louise Archer Elementary.
November 6, 1962: Bids on several site improvements were submitted, Mr. Wooldridge reporting that negotiations with low bidder, Sam Bruno & Co., taking the sodding, seeding, fertilizing, and surfacing of driveways out of the contract [to be accomplished by the FCPS maintenance crew] resulted in net figure of $89,191 for the work at the several schools, a reduction from $110,000 bid. Mr. Newman moved that contract for site improvements at the Hollin Hills, Dunn Loring, Annandale, and Louise Archer Elementary Schools be awarded to Sam Bruno & Co., in the negotiated sum of $89,191, the School Board Maintenance Department to do the work eliminated from the bid, as set out in this explanation. The motion carried. Maintenance Department cost to do this work is estimated at about $6,000, resulting in a net savings of about $14,000.
January 9, 1964: Mr. Wooldridge submitted bids on the installation of sound systems in several elementary schools, explaining the basis for this work and that allocations for these improvements were included in earlier bond issue funds. Mr. Clark moved acceptance of low bid of McCarthy Manufacturing Company and award of contract for installation of sound systems in the Oakton, Marshall Road, Flint Hill, Louise Archer, Cedar Lane, Dunn Loring, and Weyanoke Schools at total figure $19,687.00 to that company. Mr. Hudgins seconded the motion and it carried.
April 9, 1964: Decisions on specific pupil assignments were now requested of the Board. The Board was requested to make decisions on applications for students to attend schools outside designated attendance areas, Statute requiring notification of placements by April 15. Transfer assignments, as follows, were approved to facilitate school bus routing and scheduling in specific locations: Reginald Coates from Louise Archer ES to Great Falls ES; Ronald Coates from Louise Archer ES to Great Falls ES. Also: Fifteen Negro students are making application for transfer from the Louise Archer to the Flint Hill Elementary School. Mr. Clark moved that the applications of fifteen Negro students for transfer from the Louise Archer to the Flint Hill School be approved. Mr. Lyon seconded the motion, which failed to carry by vote of 5-1, Mr. Clark voting in favor. Attorney Keith's opinion was requested. He stated that since there is no overcrowding at the Flint Hill School, these students should be permitted their choice of attendance, since white children within the attendance area of the Louise Archer School are not required to attend that school. The factor of overcrowding vs. sufficient accommodation had not been a consideration in the Board's adopted policy. Thus some question arose as to whether these assignments are to be made at the Board's discretion, based solely on geographic boundary delineations, or on some legal premise on which Mr. Keith bases his opinion. Mr. Keith further commented there could be some inference of discrimination in not permitting exceptions for Negro children who do not wish to attend a segregated school. Mr. Goldsmith moved that action of the Board in this respect be reconsidered. Mr. Clark seconded the motion, which carried by a vote of 5-1, Mr. Hoofnagle voting “no.” Mr. Lyon moved that action on these application be deferred until Attorney Keith submits written basis for his opinion rendered, this evening on this point, this Board to meet and arrive at a decision with respect to these placements prior to April 15. Mr. Futch seconded the motion and it carried by recorded vote of 5-1, Mr. Clark voting "no". Also: The applications of 35 Negro children seeking attendance at Churchill Road Elementary School rather than Louise Archer Elementary School, were postponed to Monday evening, when Mr. Perlik is expected to be present to join in decision on this situation of overcrowded Churchill Road’s possible accommodation of these children who actually reside within its geographic boundaries.
April 13, 1964: Following explanation by the Chairman that attorney opinion had been requested with respect to applications made and assignments to be determined, and that this had been discussed in executive session earlier this evening, the Board now made the following decisions on applications pending from its April 9 meeting: With respect to 15 students seeking attendance at Flint Hill Elementary, though living closer to Louise Archer Elementary, Mr. Lyon moved that these applications be denied. Mr. Hudgins seconded the motion. In the discussion on the motion, Board Members expressed their differing opinions on the placement of these children. Mr. Lyon’s motion carried by a vote of 5-2, Messrs. Clark and Perlik voting against it.
January 28, 1965: Since 1959 the Fairfax County School Board has been proceeding in an orderly and gradual manner to desegregate completely the County’s educational program. The School Board has stated in court proceedings and in public announcements that it intends to establish school attendance areas strictly on a geographical basis with a goal of assigning pupils to the schools nearest their residences… The School Board wishes to announce its proposed program for desegregating the County’s remaining five Negro elementary schools. In formulating this proposed program, the School Board has considered the special problems presented by each individual school. As a result the proposed action is not identical for each of the schools. However the proposals for each school and the proposals as a whole represent in the Board’s unanimous judgment the soundest approach to the problem from educational and other points of view. Accordingly, the School Board announces the following proposals: Louise Archer Elementary School - The Louise Archer School raises somewhat different problems primarily because of its proximity to the Flint Hill School. It is proposed to terminate this school as an all-negro school in June 1965, and open it in September 1965, as a desegregated school. Pupils now assigned to Louise Archer School will be reassigned to this school or to other schools on the basis of places of residences. Schools which next year will receive pupils now attending Louise Archer School include Great Falls, Herndon, Dunn Loring, Franklin-Sherman, and Spring Hill Elementary Schools. Some pupils now attending the Flint Hill and Vienna Elementary Schools will be assigned to the Louise Archer School under new boundary lines for this school.
February 16, 1965: Of the twelve people addressing the Board [about the desegregation plan for the five remaining elementary schools], there was about equal division of expressions for and against the Board’s plans. Several people offered suggestions for some modifications of the proposals outlined, principally with respect to the Louise Archer School. Some speakers objected to the ratio of Negro pupils to white pupils which would, under the proposed boundaries, be larger at Louise Archer than at neighboring schools. One alternative mentioned was use of the Louise Archer building for special classes for retarded and culturally disadvantaged children. Objectors felt the students proposed to be housed at Louise Archer could be easily reassigned to other Vienna area schools. Mr. Boone’s [Treasurer of the Fairfax NAACP] only objection was that the one year delay in integration of the Eleven Oaks and James Lee Schools “is not necessary”.
March 11, 1965: Of the twelve speakers addressing the Board, eight expressed concern over the proposed boundary delineation for the Louise Archer School, suggesting that this school be utilized for special education classes or that the Negro children proposed to be housed there be divided among the several white schools in the Vienna area so that percentage of Negro to white students would be negligible in each school.
March 17, 1965: School boundaries which had not previously been settled were discussed. Mr. Clark reported that the President of the Louise Archer School PTA had expressed wish that the school be continued as a Negro school, or separate school. Mr. Coffey reviewed the details of Plan No. 7 with respect to how some Negro children previously assigned to Louise Archer School could be moved to the Flint Hill, Oakton, and Marshall Road Schools, lowering the Negro pupil ratio to approximately 17 percent at Louise Archer. Mr. Clark moved the adoption of Plan No. 7 for the Louise Archer School for the 1965-66 school year. Mr. Perlik seconded the motion and it carried unanimously. Mr. Coffey is to announce this decision through the schools affected, and public announcement will be made at the School Board’s March 25th meeting. News release is to be prepared and distributed on all school boundary adjustments made by the Board since notices were sent to parents informing them of changes in boundaries for the next school year.
May 13, 1965: Mr. Clark moved that Deborah, William, and Renee Brown, Diane Mayhew, and Millicent, Sheila, and William, Jr. Marion, be denied attendance at Louise Archer in lieu of assignment to Flint Hill. Mr. Lyon seconded the motion and it carried. Also: A number of appeals were filed for students’ attendance at schools other than Louise Archer the assigned school. Mr. Hudgins moved that applications on behalf of Dana Clark, James Clark III, Steven Clark, Calvin Curling, Jr. Douglas Curling, Robert Foley, Anne Hostettler, Lise Hostettler, Duane Jackson, Keith Leatherwood, Daniel McCleary, Dennis McCleary, Lindsey Newcome, and James Orrison, for attendance at other Vienna area schools than Louise Archer, school of assignment, be denied. Mr. Clark seconded the motion and it carried.
July 8, 1965: Gregory Lee Fletcher was permitted to remain in the Flint Hill School, rather than attend school of assignment, Louise Archer, on the basis of justifying information submitted and recommendation of placement officer, by motion of Mr. Clark, seconded by Mr. Lyon and carried.
July 13, 1967: The Superintendent advised that staff proposal for the pilot kindergarten program for this fall, giving the names of proposed locations and when they are to be started and how children will be selected, will be submitted shortly. [A Fairfax County Public Schools bulletin stated the pilot locations were Centreville, Edsall Park, Hollin Meadows, Lewinsville, Springfield Estates, Walnut Hill, and Westmore elementary schools].
September 12, 1968: Superintendent’s Opening of Schools Report: The school budget carried an estimated 122,000 pupils, whereas a total of 121,778 pupils have actually been enrolled including 8,102 kindergarten pupils. Head Start classes will open on October 1, 1968. 144 temporary classrooms are in use including seven mini-trailers. We are using rented trailers to avoid having to bus students. Approximately 80,000 pupils are being transported. 1,500 pupils are enrolled in 100 special education classes. 150 school buses are being used for noon day runs for kindergarten pupils. 596 school buses are owned, of which 555 are operating daily. The Superintendent advised that it appears we will exceed our anticipated enrollment within the next month or so.
April 24, 1969: Mr. Coffey, Associate Superintendent, gave the Board a brief review of the written school plant planning report which had been sent to them for their study. This planning report recommended that the Board approve planning for the modernization and additions to the Belle View Elementary, Haycock Elementary, Franconia Elementary, and Louise Archer Elementary Schools. Mr. Coffey explained that although no great increases in student enrollments are anticipated at the Franconia and Louise Archer schools in the immediate future, these plants are among the older plants in the County and need some immediate attention. The firm of Smith & Smith was assigned to do the architectural work on the Louise Archer Elementary School addition.
August 11, 1969: Louise Archer Elementary was on the priority list for elementary school modernizations to be completed and occupied by September 1970.
February 5, 1970: Louise Archer Elementary School Addition. The original plant was built in 1939 and has had three additions since that date. The architect for this addition is Smith and Smith Associates. This school is located adjacent to the Madison High School in Vienna. Proposed to add physical education and laboratory space plus five classrooms. Space will also be added for an activity room and instrumental and choral music. The existing library space will be expanded into another classroom. Under the present arrangement the food served in this school, under the school lunch program, is prepared at the Madison High School and this arrangement was recommended for continuation. The old kitchen in Louise Archer School will be used for storage. The present capacity of Louise Archer School is 390 pupils and the addition will increase this capacity to 540. Mr. Wooldridge explained the physical education facility is the same size as was being built in other modernization projects in the elementary schools. Mrs. Lecos felt the Board had decided not to build as large a facility for physical education in those elementary buildings which were near other large facilities, such as in this case. Mr. Wooldridge, explained the Madison High School membership is up to the capacity of that plant and feels there would be a scheduling problem to bring the Louise Archer school pupils in for the use of the physical education facility. Mrs. Lecos recalled on April 17, 1969, the recommendation regarding this school was that no kitchen would be needed and, further, that a covered play area be constructed rather than an indoor physical education facility. Mr. Perlik felt the policy of the Board was that it would not automatically add all of these facilities to every elementary school if the existing school was close to another school having these facilities of adequate size. Mr. Wooldridge explained in the plan for this addition two outside walls could be omitted to omit the physical education space from the addition. Mr. Wellborn asked if Mr. Wooldridge felt he could justify adding this much to this old building if he had a choice of building a new elementary school on another location. Mr. Wooldridge referred Mr. Wellborn to the master plan predictions for this area and felt if the School Board did not build an addition to this plant, it would be forced to build a new school on another location and add to other schools located in the general vicinity. He mentioned the Lawyers Road site, the closest new site to the Louise Archer site, on which it was proposed that a 990-pupil elementary school would be constructed. Even with that facility Mr. Wooldridge felt there would be children located in the present Louise Archer area which would need to be housed in some other facility. The Superintendent agreed that economically it was not feasible to add to this old building rather than going to a new site, recognizing that it is more expensive to renovate and add to a building rather than construct a new building for the same capacity. The Board realized it would be best to have the new school to serve these pupils if there were no problems of transportation and the building could be located where the pupils live. Mr. Wooldridge estimated a construction cost of $540,000 for this addition. Mrs. Plissner expressed concern about the number of inside walls planned in this design, which she felt would prevent team teaching. Dr. Watts [FCPS Superintendent Lawrence M. Watts] agreed with her observation. Mr. Perlik asked about the educational committee working on these designs. Mr. Coffey advised there were two of these committees and part of both committees were used in working on the modernization projects. The principal of the subject school was also included in the committee work on the designs. Mrs. Plissner felt the Board might have been at fault by not having an educational philosophy which was clear to the committee, since it was apparent they were not trying new kinds of building designs in these modernization projects. Chairman Goldsmith agreed the Board was as much at fault as anyone in not making its desires clear with respect to designing a more open type of facility. Chairman Goldsmith hoped before these plans were brought back to the Board for approval these two questions could be resolved: (l) Whether or not a new facility might not create a greater opportunity for a different organization in teaching; and (2) whether or not the physical education facility might not be on a smaller scale and be more innovative. It was pointed out the Flint Hill Elementary School is also located in the general area of the Louise Archer school and the question was raised as to whether or not the Board was going to install a cluster of small elementary gyms around a large high-school gymnasium. It was proposed that the office suite, the library, and the classroom sections to be added in this addition at Louise Archer School be air conditioned. Mr. Wooldridge estimated a typical 600-pupil new elementary school would cost approximately $900,000. Mr. Perlik asked for cost estimates on these preliminary plans presented by Mr. Wooldridge and also the time frame for construction. Mr. Wooldridge presented the following information with respect to these projects: Louise Archer Elementary School Addition, 150 increased capacity, estimated cost $540,000, completion in August 1971, if let to contract in July or August 1970. Mr. Wellborn advised he wished to have further discussion by the Board on the Louise Archer Elementary School addition proposed project at the next meeting of the Board.
March 26, 1970: After a review of the plans for the Louise Archer school modernization, Mr. Wellborn mentioned the matter of the proposed gymnasium at this elementary school and its proximity to the Madison High School where larger gymnasium facilities are available. Mr. Wellborn felt the Louise Archer Elementary School was quite a distance from the high school and, therefore, there was no validity to requiring joint use of the gymnasium at the secondary school. He felt the community served by the Louise Archer Elementary School is a community which was rather unique in that almost all students could walk to this elementary school. He felt because of the community's identity with that particular school and the closeness of the families to the school, this particular gymnasium could serve a good purpose for the immediate community and school. He raised question about the proposed addition of a science room and just what use was planned for this facility when it was built. Dr. Watts advised the concept had changed to more a utility-laboratory room for art and other programs rather than just for science study. He noted the science program was being done more in the individual classrooms now than in a special science room. In light of these remarks, Mr. Wellborn asked if this room was really essential in the project. The Superintendent acknowledged this room would have the lowest priority in the proposed construction plans. Mr. Wooldridge advised the room could be omitted from the construction without altering the plans to any great degree. Mr. Wellborn moved the Board approve the plan for the modernization of the Louise Archer Elementary School with the exception of the science room and this school be put out for bids in the near future. The motion was seconded by Mrs. Lecos for discussion. She asked about the location of the kitchen in this plant and what plans were being made to utilize this space. Mr. Wooldridge advised the kitchen area could be used for storage, Mrs. Lecos noted similar space at the Bailey's Elementary School had been used very effectively as a woodworking shop. Mr. Pearson was advised, in response to his inquiry, the proposed gym at this school is a 2-station gymnasium. Dr. Kurylo asked if Mr. Wellborn would accept an amendment on his motion to request an alternate bid on the science room space. This was accepted by Mr. Wellborn and Mrs. Lecos. Mrs. Plissner noted the capacity was anticipated as 540 at this plant and asked if there would be two gymnasium teachers employed here. Superintendent Watts advised there would be only one physical education teacher in the facility at a time. Mr. Perlik noted the Louise Archer Elementary School is less than three blocks from the Flint Hill Elementary School which has a two-station gymnasium also and did not understand, therefore, the argument that the uniqueness of the placement of the Louise Archer School would justify overlooking the facilities located in other nearby schools in the same general area to also build a gym at the Louise Archer School. Superintendent Watts advised the 1968 policy was not quite clear to him along this line, but felt, in this particular case, this was a community which had its identity closely related to the Louise Archer School. He felt the Flint Hill community works considerably separate as a community center and the Louise Archer area is an old-time Vienna community that makes the school a focal point in its area life. Dr. Watts said, depending on one's definition of community, it appeared the Louise Archer area is an isolated community near other facilities. Mrs. Lecos was advised, in response to her question, all 390 children attending the Louise Archer Elementary School could walk to that school if sidewalks were provided. This would also be true for the anticipated 540 enrollment. Mrs. Lecos asked if consideration was given to going ahead with a new elementary school on the Lawyers Road site just for needed classrooms and return to the older schools for modernization work but not additions thereto. Mr. Chesley felt the new school facility would have its own requirement for capacity and noted children who would attend the Lawyers Road School could also all walk if sidewalks are provided in this area. Mr. Wooldridge described some modernization and renovation to the older portion of the Louise Archer School, particularly with respect to the cafeteria and library spaces. After further brief discussion, Dr. Kurylo moved the question and the motion was carried by a vote of six to two, with Mrs. Lecos and Mr. Pearson voting "no". Mr. Pattison was not present in the room at the time of the vote.
April 16, 1970: Mr. Wellborn requested a study be made in conjunction with the County on the cost of sidewalks versus school buses in some selected school areas such as Louise Archer Elementary School. In this instance, 90 percent of the pupils live within walking distance to the school and 90 percent are now currently transported because of lack of sidewalks. Chairman Goldsmith understood there was a sidewalk committee established on the County level which might work with the School Board on this problem.
The Alexandria Gazette
September 2, 1952: Fairfax Classrooms Crowded as Fall School Term Begins. 1,200 in Fairfax Schools on Double Shifts, Third of Rooms Sub-Standard. An influx of more than 2,000 post-war babies will put between 1,200 and 1,300 Fairfax County pupils on double-shifts, it was revealed today as more than 20,000 children reported for the opening of the 1952-53 school year… Six other additions are to be finished during the year according to production schedules. They are: Dunn Loring ES (three rooms); Mount Vernon HS (nine rooms); Fairfax ES (eight rooms); Weyanoke ES (six rooms); Willston ES (eight rooms); and Louise Archer (Negro, three rooms).
December 23, 1952: 20 School Projects in Last Stage. A progress report from the Board yesterday shows nearly half of the 44 school projects in the current construction program are 90% or more complete. The 44 projects, with equipment and land, will cost $15,512,846. Seven projects are listed as 99% complete. These are: Chesterbrook, Hollin Hall, Mount Eagle, Graham Road, Belle View, Woodley Hills, and Louise Archer.
The Evening Star
November 13, 1949, Page 41: County May Drop High School if Bonds Are Voted. Fairfax Program May Be Sufficient if Territory Is Annexed. The proposals to be considered by the School Board and the Emergency Committee include: For colored students in Providence District a new seven-room school would be built on the present elementary site at Fairfax; two rooms would be added to Louise Archer School at Vienna; Odricks would be closed and students there moved to Vienna; sites would be obtained in the Hunter’s area and in West Fairfax.
February 16, 1952, Page B-7: Archer School Addition Bids Opened March 4. The Fairfax County School Board will open bids for construction of an addition to the Louise Archer Elementary School for colored at 2 p.m. March 4. The addition will include seven classrooms, a library and multi-purpose room. The Louise Archer School is located at Vienna. Funds for the addition are part of the county’s $10.5 million school construction bond issue.
December 12, 1952, Page 45: Fairfax Officials Visit Schools to Study Crowding. Find New Buildings Still Won’t Take Care Of Student Increase. Members of the School Board yesterday took the Board of Supervisors and others on an all-day tour of some typical schools. The School Board is anxious to have the supervisors’ support for the new bond issue which appears headed for a vote in January. The current building program – including all available money still to be spent – will give the county standard classrooms for only 19,000 pupils. Already the enrollment exceeds that number by 2,000 and about 1,000 more people are moving into the county each month. By 1955, school officials calculate the enrollment will be 30,945. They figure 419 new classrooms should be provided in the new bond issue to accommodate that number of students… The Louise Archer School for colored was next on the tour. Here the supervisors saw a recently completed addition of four classrooms, a multi-purpose room and a library. It is much like the Graham Road School, with plaster-less walls. Altogether, it has seven classrooms – including the original three which were part of an old, wooden school.
February 1, 1953, Page A-39: Woodson Replies to Critics On Closing of Odricks School. A letter to the editor appeared in the Star the day before. The letter, signed by patrons of the school, questioned the wisdom of closing the school. The building is a two-room brick school. “The fact remains that it is a two-room building without central heat or running water,” said the superintendent. Odricks is being closed and the 74 pupils enrolled there are to be sent to the Louise Archer Elementary School at Vienna where a new addition is being completed. This is in line with the School Board’s long-standing policy to consolidate the smaller, one and two-classroom schools into larger schools. All of the white schools were consolidated in the 1930s. At Odricks, all seven grades are taught by two teachers in the two rooms. At Louise Archer, the students can have individual teachers in each grade. Money for the Louise Archer addition was provided in a previous bond issue.
April 30, 1954, Page A-18: First Polio Shots End, More Start Monday. The first round of polio vaccinations ends today in Fairfax County. The entire schedule begins over again Monday for the second in a series of three inoculations being given to 2,400 second grade students. The County Health Department had its biggest day of the Salk polio vaccine testing program yesterday. More than 760 children received the vaccine in 12 clinics. Dr. Harold Kennedy, county health officer, said the first week of the program “went very smoothly.” He praised the work of nurses and medical officials in administering the shots, and said the young students, for the most part, were “either very brave or very well behaved.” Shots will be given today at Chesterbrook, Louise Archer, Drew-Smith, Freedom Hill, Groveton, Oak Street, Willston, Woodburn, and Woodley Hills Schools.
November 30, 1954, Page A-15: Old Fairfax School Sold At Auction for $12,000. The old Odricks Elementary School for colored was sold by the Fairfax County School Board at public auction yesterday for $12,000. The two-classroom brick school building, abandoned last year with completion of the larger Louise Archer Elementary School in Vienna, was sold to Meredith Capper, landscape gardener, who submitted the highest of several bids.
December 19, 1956, Front Page: Fairfax Seeking Facts On Norfolk Bond Sale. The School Board authorized the staff to advertise for bids on four new school projects as soon as plans are ready. The four, to be financed from the $3 million issue sold last week, are a three-room addition to Louise Archer Elementary; Wakefield Forest Elementary, eight rooms; Kent Gardens Elementary, 20 rooms; and North Graham Road Elementary (Devonshire), 23 rooms.
December 29, 1956, Page B-5: Proposals. Notice to Contractors – Sealed proposals for the construction of the Addition to the Louise Archer Elementary School, Fairfax County, Virginia, will be received by the County School Board of Fairfax County, Virginia, until 4 p.m. EST on Tuesday, January 15, 1957. Plans, specifications, and contract documents must be obtained at the office of Bailey & Patton, Architects, Arlington, Virginia.
September 1, 1957, Page A-23: 300,000 Pupils to Jam Public, Catholic Schools. Fairfax will have an estimated 44,000 enrollment, about 5,500 higher than last session. However, opening of five new schools and additions to 14 elementary and three high schools will enable school officials to reduce the number of students on half-day sessions 600 below last year’s figure of 1,400. Additions totaling 92 classrooms will be ready opening day at the following schools: …Louise Archer (three classrooms).
January 29, 1965, Page C-3: Fairfax Plan Would Complete County’s School Integration. The last vestiges of a racially segregated school system in Fairfax County would be wiped out over the next two years under a plan proposed last night by the School Board. Although Fairfax has been moving gradually toward full integration for several years, the new proposal is aimed at complying with last summer’s federal court order that the “dual school system” end. Two of the county’s five current all-Negro elementary schools, Lillian Carey and Drew-Smith, would become special education centers for retarded and handicapped children next September. A third, Louise Archer, would become an integrated elementary facility next year. One of the remaining Negro schools, Eleven Oaks, would be merged with a nearby predominantly white facility in Sept. 1966. James Lee would be phased out and the building would be used for an undetermined purpose. The proposal would put 1,695 of the county’s 2,480 Negro students in predominantly white schools for the first time. Some 785 Negro children are now attending integrated schools, many of them assigned there under the Board’s former policy of permitting requested transfers to predominantly white schools when they are closer to the applicants’ homes than all-Negro facilities. In the future, all students will be assigned to schools according to the attendance areas in which they live. Most of the all-Negro schools are located in and serve predominantly Negro communities. This will force the Board to divert the buildings to other educational uses in order to comply with the court’s order. 147 Lillian Carey students would be sent to Parklawn, Lincolnia, Bailey’s and Glen Forest. Lillian Carey will house 75 of the 120 moderately retarded children now enrolled in a training center at Lincolnia School plus 33 students on the center’s waiting list. 251 Drew-Smith students would be sent to Hollin Hall, Gunston, Bucknell, Hollin Meadows, Hybla Valley and Mount Vernon Woods schools. It would become a training center for the other 45 moderately retarded pupils now at Lincolnia. The county health dept. wants to start a 35-student center for severely retarded children at Drew-Smith. Some students who formerly attended Flint Hill ES and Vienna ES would attend Louise Archer. 232 students currently assigned there would go to Great Falls, Herndon, Dunn Loring, Franklin Sherman, and Spring Hill elementary schools. First graders at Eleven Oaks would go to Clifton, Fairview, Centreville, Lorton, Burke, and Westmore schools. The remaining students would be assigned to schools in their attendance areas starting in 1966-67. Eleven Oaks would merge with Green Acres Elementary School. Pupils in the county’s culturally disadvantaged program would attend Eleven Oaks next year. Students within the one-mile walking distance to James Lee would still attend there the coming session. The school currently has 268 pupils. Those outside that radius would go to Fairhill, Stenwood, Woodburn, and Pine Spring schools. James Lee would end as an all-Negro school in 1966-67.
February 17, 1965, Page B-3: Views Mixed on Fairfax School Segregation End. Plans to end all segregation in Fairfax County’s school system rand into mixed citizen reaction last night. The proposals won support from some speakers and opposition from other who protested methods in which an all-Negro school at Vienna would be integrated. Support for the plan came from six speakers. They included spokesmen for the Fairfax Area League of Women Voters, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, and the County Council on Human Relations. But one speaker warned that some parents already are taking steps to place their children in private schools next year because the ratio of Negro students at Louise Archer School will be too high after it is integrated. Louise Archer is all-Negro at present. Calvin Curling said 100 of Louise Archer’s 347 students next year would be Negroes compared to a total of 28 in four other nearby schools. He predicted this ratio would force more parents to seek private schooling for their children and that new housing in the area would be exclusively Negro. Jack Brinckmeyer, president of the Vienna Hills Civic Association, said the 30-to-70 percent ratio is “unjust to citizens in our community” because it is the highest in Fairfax County. Louise Archer, he noted, is the only one of five all-Negro elementary schools planned as an integrated elementary school next year. He suggested that it, like Lillian Carey School at Baileys Crossroads and Drew-Smith School in Gum Springs, be converted to a special education center for retarded and “culturally disadvantaged” children… Louis M. Boone, treasurer of the Fairfax NAACP, said the plan “reflects good faith effort” to meet last summer’s federal court order to end the dual school system but said the one year delay at Eleven Oaks and James Lee is “not necessary.” Concern over the reassignment of Negro teachers and administrators was voiced by Boone, Mrs. Raymond Lahr of the Women Voters, and the Reverend Earl S. Christmas of the Human Relations Council. Boone said it “is essential that Negro personnel maintain their salaries and status in the school system.”
The Fairfax Herald
April 14, 1950, Page 1: The Louise Archer School in Vienna will be dedicated Sunday, April 16, at 3 o’clock. The public is cordially invited to be present.
January 26, 1951, Page 1: A baby contest will be held at the Louise Archer School in Vienna on March 30 at 8 p.m. On Friday, February 23, at 3 p.m. the school will present “A Man of Mystery” for benefit of the curtain committee.
March 7, 1952, Page 1: School Contract Awarded. The County School Board at its meeting Tuesday last, awarded the contract for the addition to the Louise Archer School, on low bid of $77,710.
The Washington Post
December 23, 1951, Page M-5: Fairfax Negro Groups Seek School Funds. Three Fairfax County Negro organizations are scheduled to seek legal advice this week on how to get more money for Negro schools. E. B. Henderson of Falls Church, spokesman for the groups, said members are “provoked” that the county is not using bond money to help Negro schools. He said one-third of the $10,000,000 school bond issue voted last year had been allocated, yet “not a single colored school or addition has been constructed…” Superintendent of Schools W. T. Woodson… released enrollment figures of white and Negro students to show the percentage of increase and cited the steps the School Board has taken to increase Negro school facilities. According to his figures, there were 7,167 white students enrolled in the county in June 1941, and 16,605 in June of this year, an increase of over 130 percent. There were 1,028 Negro students in 1941 and 1,502 in 1951, an increase of 46 percent. Plans for four Negro school construction projects are well underway, Woodson said. Architect’s plans for the Oak Grove School near Herndon are about finished, but the county health department has refused to approve the site because of unsatisfactory soil for septic tanks, Woodson said. Further soil tests are being made. Architect’s plans for the Louise Archer School at Vienna are also nearly ready, but the site is too small to meet State requirements, he said. The county is now proceeding to acquire additional land from four parties there. A new school site and plans for the new Gum Springs School have been obtained, but this project has run into septic tank troubles, he continued. The county has acquired 22 acres of land at Merrifield for the new Negro high school and plans were assigned to an architect on October 2, he said. Woodson added that a surveyor has been instructed to lay out land at the Fairfax Negro Elementary School for an addition. Fairfax County now has no Negro high school.
September 7, 1952, Page C-10: Fairfax Influx Taxing 78 New Classrooms. Existing schools with additions to be completed during the year: Louise Archer (three additional rooms).
December 3, 1952, Page 15: Fairfax School Board Plans Meeting on Building Bonds. The board authorized drawing of plans for renovation of the old Odricks two-room Negro Elementary School near McLean for handicapped childrens’ classes now conducted in Falls Church. Odricks students are to be consolidated with pupils of Louise Archer Elementary School at Vienna when an addition is completed there.
December 12, 1952, Page 33: Supervisors in Fairfax Escorted on School Tour: Bond Proponents Take County Heads On Trip in Hope of Winning Support. Members of the Board of Supervisors, the School Board, and other officials visited seven schools to show supervisors what’s being done with the $10.5 million construction program underway for two years, and more importantly, why another multi-million dollar school construction bond issue is being planned. Next stop was Louise Archer School for Negroes in Vienna. Louise Archer was only a three-room wooden school five years ago. Now seven modern classrooms amply will take care of the 158 students.
April 3, 1954, Page 41: Polio Test to Be Explained in Fairfax. Procedures to be followed in Fairfax County’s polio vaccine testing program will be explained to parents in a series of meetings starting April 7, the County Health Department announced yesterday. Parents of second graders, the only ones who actually will receive the shots, have been asked to attend the discussion at ten schools throughout the county. The meeting at James Lee Elementary School, which parents of Louise Archer students were to attend, was held on April 7 at 8:00 P.M.
August 26, 1957, Page A-1: 500 Added Classrooms Open in Fall: But Overcrowding Leaves 9,500 Pupils On Half-Day Sessions. School systems in the Washington area will open next month with more than 500 new classrooms. Fairfax County will have six new elementary schools and 14 additions providing 180 classrooms. New additions: Louise Archer, Vienna, three rooms, 96 pupils.
April 15, 1964, Page A-18: School Board Approves 22 Negro Shifts. The Fairfax County School Board has granted two groups of Negro students’ requests for transfer next year to currently all-white schools. In keeping with the Board’s policy of desegregating schools primarily on the basis of individual transfer applications… 15 students now attending Louise Archer School in Vienna will be enrolled in McLean’s Churchill Road School.
March 20, 1965, Page D-38: Fairfax Cuts Ratio of Negro-White in Vienna Area School. The Fairfax County School Board revealed yesterday that it has reduced the planned ratio of Negro pupils to white pupils at Louise Archer Elementary School, which will be desegregated next fall. By altering proposed school boundaries of Louise Archer School near Vienna, the percentage of Negro students will fall from 33 percent to about 20 percent, a school spokesman said. This would still give Louise Archer one of the highest percentages of Negro students among Fairfax County’s desegregated schools. The Board’s action apparently was in response to protests at a December 16 hearing by parents of white children now attending other elementary schools who would be transferred to Louise Archer under the original school boundary plan.
August 18, 1965, Page B-1: Negro Seeks to Halt Pupil Transfer As Plan to Create Racial Balance. Plaintiff in the Fairfax County suit is William I. Marion. He is protesting the transfer of his three children from the Louise Archer School, four blocks from their home, to Flint Hill School, about a mile away. Louise Archer formerly was all Negro, and Flint Hill nearly all white. Under the present assignment plan, Archer would have about one Negro student to every four whites. The suit says the children formerly were assigned on the basis of geographic location, student population, mental ability, safety of students and the like. It alleges the School Board recently realigned certain districts and defined the boundaries with the dominant purpose of achieving racial balance in each district. William S. Hoofnagle, School Board chairman, said yesterday it would be impossible for the Board to create a racial balance since the county has some 89,200 students and only a small fraction of that number are Negro. He said the Board tried to gain with reassignment “maximum utilization of all its schools without regard to race.”
November 17, 1966, Page F-1: Area Still Has Some Segregated Schools: Fall, 1966, School Enrollment Some Schools in Area Are Still Segregated. Fairfax County and Alexandria integrated their last segregated schools this fall. Fall, 1966, School Enrollment – Fairfax County: 3,520 Negro; 98,312 White; 101,832 Total. In Fairfax County, the degree of integration in individual schools varies from none to a Negro-white ratio of about 1-to-3 in Fairview and Louise Archer elementary schools. In only one school in Fairfax do Negroes outnumber white students: Parklawn, which is attended by 641 Negroes and 84 whites. Negroes are enrolled in all Fairfax County intermediate schools and secondary schools although they represent a minute proportion of the student body.
June 19, 1968, Page B-3: Fairfax Airs School Spending Priorities. Fairfax County school officials announced yesterday a priority list of 11 elementary schools that will be enlarged or renovated by Sept. 1969. Most of the schools named were built during the crowded classroom crisis of the 1950s. They lack many of the facilities – such as music and physical education rooms – built into later schools. Several schools also face the threat of overcrowding, caused particularly by the provision of kindergartens for the first time in September. About 7,000 youngsters are expected to enroll in the program. Selected were: Woodlawn ES (opened 1937); Timber Lane ES (1955); Wakefield Forest ES (1955); Bren Mar Park ES (1957); Lynbrook ES (1957); North Springfield ES (1957); Glen Forest ES (1957); Waynewood ES (1959); Herndon ES (1961); Marshall Road ES (1961), and Mantua ES (1961).